Here is a helpful step by step directions on how to replace screen corners on a Hurd Window Screen.
To order screen corners go to www.RandRwindow.com
Part # 141 for old style screen corner and Part # 140 for new style screen corner. Comes in: Gold tone, White or bronze.
PIcture of New style Screen Corner
Old Style Screen Corner
Part # 998 for Screen Spline Tool
For these instructions old screen corners (Part # 141) has been used. But the instructions apply also to the New Style Screen Corners ( Part Number # 140). To Order: www.RandRwindow.com
1. The Screen Corner – you are only going to remove 2 screen corners at a time so you do not have to rescreen your whole screen
2. With a pointed object pull up the spline. The spline is located around the screen frame
3. If you cannot locate the edge of the spline or if it is not near a corner you will have to cut it with a knife
4. Gently pull spline and remove from the top part of the screen. Do not remove spline completely!
5. Notice how spline is only removed from the top and only a few inches down on both sides of the screen
6. Gently pull down screen mesh to the spline
7. Remove top part of frame by pulling straight up. Now 2 screen corners should be exposed
8. Remove broken screen corner and replace with new screen corner on both sides. If part of the old screen corner is broke off in the screen frame – use a pair of pliers to pull it out. If it won’t come out shove the broken part more into the screen frame so the new screen corner can fit all the way in.
9. Make sure you put in the new screen corner the same way as the old one. Repeat on other side
10. Put top frame with new screen coners back into side frame
11. Push top and side frame together so they are tight against the screen corner
12. Push screen mesh back into frame groove
13. Using spline tool (Part # 998) push in spline back into the screen frame
14. The spline may stretch when you push it back into the groove. If this happens cut off any excess
15. Finish inserting spline with spline tool. Repeat steps to replace the bottom 2 screen corners.
Helpful tip: If one screen corner is broke then most likely the opposite diagonal screen comer is broke or at least cracked and should also be replaced.